Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hello Ginger!

So I have to say that I love a good Ginger......ginger what? You ask. Well just to clarify I prefer my ginger without the snap. I love a nice soft chewy cookie and ginger "snaps" are no exception. These gingers are my go to recipe. They are perfect for Christmas baking, or if you are just craving a sweet treat.

I hosted a little Valentine's Day playdate today for my toddler and preschooler, and these cookies were on the menu, among other tastey treats whose recipes will come later. I tried to give away my leftovers to my good friend today to no avail! :( Having these in my fridge and some in my freezer right now is killing me! However I did discover over the Christmas holidays that frozen treats are just as tastey if not sometimes better than fresh. And not to mention totally worth the risk of a broken tooth or messy chocolate face from trying to knaw through that crazy frozen bar in every direction. Also with that discovery came the discovery that I can no longer eat a treat a day everyday( 1, 10 what's the difference) consequence free. I think my scale must be off by 10 or 30 pounds. Anyways enough about that here is very yummy and chewy cookie recipe. They do freeze very nicely too btw ;)


Ginger Spice Cookies
Recipe from Chatelaine 

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup packed brown sugar

1/3 cup granulated sugar for rolling dough in

1. Lightly grease baking sheet. Or use parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F. Use a fork to stir flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt together. In another larger bowl lightly beat egg with a fork then beat in oil and molasses. Next use a wooden spoon to mix in brown sugar until smooth. Add flour mixture gradually until well mixed.

2. Place granulated sugar n a small bowl. Roll dough not small balls and roll in sugar until evenly coated. Place on baking sheet 2 inches apart.


3. Bake in preheated oven until cookies begin to crack and set around the edges, about 7 to 10 minutes. 

Cool on rack and store in  an airtight container or freeze. 







2 comments:

  1. Yup, these ginger cookies are amazing! I have the same problem though, I don’t care if treats are frozen, that doesn’t mean I won’t eat them!!
    I am so excited that you will be sharing your recipes with us. I know first hand that your baking is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As they say it takes one to know one T! From one fabulous baker to another ;) thank you for the kind words!

      Delete