Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Buttermilk Spelt Pancakes

This is what's for dinner tonight! I walked into my local health food store today to continue a conversation I started to have another time with the very knowledgable owner. I wanted to make some of my baking a little "healthier" but didn't like what whole wheat flour does to recipes. Dense, and the taste is just off. So we talked a bit about different flours and I settled on trying out spelt flour.

Tonight instead of reaching for that box of Aunt Gemima in my pantry, I looked on the internet for a buttermilk recipe and decided I'd tweak it a bit and try out the spelt flour. Here is what I came up with. This recipe made about 10 med/smallish pancakes, which was perfect for me and my two boys. Feel free to double or triple it to feed a bigger crowd. These are good out of the fridge the next day or freeze em and pull em out for an easy breakfrast or snack.



Buttermilk Spelt Pancakes

1 1/2 Tbsp Butter or Margerine
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/8 cup sugar (i used half white, half coconut)
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup of buttermilk ( if you don't have buttermilk don't worry! put a Tbsp of white vinegar in a measuring cup and fill the rest with milk up to the 1 cup mark, let stand for a few minutes)
1 large egg

1. Melt butter in a small dish and set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a seperate bowl whisk buttermilk and egg.
4. Gently mix the wet into the dry ingredients until almost incorparated. Add the cooled butter and mix until just combined. (the batter will have some lumps)

Let your batter rest while you heat a pan over medium heat until drops of water just bubble and evaporate on the surface. Oil the pan. Again because I'm trying to be "healthier" I used coconut oil to grease my pan. Pour batter in the pan by the ladel full or however big or small you want your cakes. ;) Let them cook undisturbed unitl bubbles rise to the surface and the underside is lightly browned. Flip and cook until other side is browned. About 1 min per side! These guys cook quickly.





Drench in Maple syrup and Enjoy!! ;) the drenching part is also part of my health kick!

So there you have it. The most amazing part to me is that these are the first pancakes that I have actually cooked perfectly! No raw batter. Oh and my boys both ate them!  Now don't get me wrong if you are looking for that super high and fluffy pancake these are not them. They turned out on the thinner side but the taste was great! Next time I will try them with full spelt and forget about the white! and maybe if I'm feeling daring I'll even go full coconut sugar. ;) 

And while I'm at it since it is my birthday tomorrow maybe I'll bake a cake or brownies using Spelt.....hahaha ok maybe not. But in the near future I will most definatley try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment